LIVES OF THE BISHOPS OF EXETER
HENRY MARSHAL. - In consequence of the absence of King Richard in the Holy Land, and his subsequent arrest and close imprisonment by Leopold Duke of Austria and Henry VI. Emperor of Germany, upwards of two years elapsed before the see of Exeter was provided with its pastor. Henry Marshal, who for five years had been Dean of York, and was brother to William Earl of Pembroke and Marshal of England, was the person selected for this office. Whilst bishop elect, viz. 10th Feb. 1194, he joined several of the prelates and abbots, John Earl of Mortain, and his rebellious partizans. Shortly after his consecration by the primate Hubert, he assisted at the second coronation of King Richard at Winchester on 17th April, 1194, and on 26th May, five years later, at the coronation of his brother King John. This sovereign, we believe, assigned to him and his successors the tithe of tin in Devon and Cornwall.
This noble prelate had the honour of religion deeply at heart, and employed his influence and fortune in promoting it. He is entitled to commendation for completing the Cathedral designed and commenced by his predecessor William Warelwast nearly a century before. That the faithful of the diocese might testify their respect for this their mother-church, he enjoined that every householder, as we learn from Bishop Grandisson's 'Register' (vol. ii. fol. 191), should imitate the established custom of other dioceses, by contributing to it at Pentecost one half-penny at least "unum obolum ad minus," not a half-penny, or less, as Mr. Britton translates it ('Survey of Exeter Cathedral,' p. 24).
On 24th May, 1203, he granted the emoluments of the Church of Lanuthinock in Cornwall (qy. Perran Uthno) towards the repairs of the Cathedral, and on 22nd November, 1205, he added the pension of 2l. 3s. 4d. to his Chapter, charged on the Church of St. Just de Lanlioch, which overlooked the lake of Falmouth harbour, in Cornwall, to meet the expense of incense for two thuribles at their daily high mass. But the Bishop's consideration for the daily and nightly services of the twenty-four vicars of his Cathedral, and for the inadequate compensation which they received for their labours, deserves special commendation. Having acquired from Abbot Jordan and the Convent of St. Michael in Normandy, the Church of St. Swithun in Woodbury, with all its appurtenances, he made it over to the choral vicars. This example induced Reginald and William de Albermarle, knights, and successively lords of the manor of Woodbury, to add to their emoluments and privileges.
After governing his church for about twelve years and a half, Bishop Marshal died on 26th October, 1206, and was interred on the north side of his cathedral choir under an altar-tomb of grey marble. Two seals of the prelate are extant: one resembling the effigy on his tomb; the crosier as tall as his figure, but very simple in form. The legend commences in the centre of the oval
+ Henricus. Dei. gratia. Exoniensis. Eps.
The reverse is
+ Presul Exonie Henricus.
The other seal has suffered the partial mutilation of the obverse, but the reverse presents a winged messenger, with
+ PRESVL . EXONIE . SV . NVNCIVS.
ARMS: - According to Izacke, Or, a lion rampant gules, within a bordure azure, mitred of the first. According to Westcote, Per pale or and vert, a lion rampant gules armed and langued within a bordure azure entoyred with mitres proper.
Previous Bishop Return to list of Bishops Next Bishop